Creating a morning routine that sets me up for more productive and uplifting days is one of the best practices I’ve discovered in the past few years. The way I begin my day has a huge impact on how the rest of the day goes. If I begin by feeling present, grateful, and organized, I infuse the rest of my day with the same qualities. If I start out frazzled, the rest of the day feels frazzled. If I am grumpy in the morning, I’ll feel grumpier throughout the day, and even the smallest annoyances will get to me.
If your tough morning leads to a tougher day, please be kinder to yourself: It’s not your fault. Our brains are naturally more sensitive to negative feelings, but when we feel down, they become even more sensitive. Bad mood brings more bad mood; this downward spiral is something many research studies have shown to be common for most of us.
The opposite is also true: Starting the day in a positive way makes it easier to have a better day and, perhaps even more importantly, helps you to manage through challenges that might come up with less stress and anxiety. So a couple years ago I decided to become more intentional about creating a morning routine that set me up for the day. I see it as an anchor, a way to begin the day with a strong foundation.
So I figured I would share some of the ways I have a magical day. First and foremost, I want to make it known that there is no rule that says you have to practice magic every day to be a ‘good’ witch. If I am honest, I don’t often feel like I am practicing magic, even with a morning routine, and you might not either. That’s okay. Sometimes I go weeks, even months without really practicing my craft. I encourage you to do what works best for you. You are still a witch, even if you aren’t actively practicing magic.
1. Enchant your toothpaste with a protection spell. There are several ways you can do this. For me, I sit the toothpaste next to some protective crystals related to teeth health such as fluorite and citrine that are charged with intent and light a white candle. I ask that the crystals and candle work together to increase the protective nature of the toothpaste. Pretty simple really.
2. Carve protective sigils in your deodorant before use to bring you luck, prosperity, courage, patience or anything else you need. This one is pretty fun. Use something sharp, like a paperclip to lightly carve your sigil into your deodorant. If you want your deodorant to bring the same characteristic, simply draw it in marker on the container itself. If you make your own deodorant, consider picking essential oils that could bring you whatever you are looking for.
3. Imagine all negative or unwanted energies washing away during your morning shower or face wash. This one is pretty simple. I imagine my troubles washing down the drain and the warm water bringing renewing energies. If you don’t shower in the morning but do wash your face just imagine the same thing.
4. Cleanse your bed of old energy as you make it. I do this by fluffing the pillows and wiping the comforter and imagining I am beating/wiping out the negative, stale energy and charging it with positively. I also like to open the window for fresh air. If its sunny outside I like to leave my bed duvets hanging by the window or a chair to get some sun (hanging bed stuff out in the sun is also a simple, cheap, chemical free way of disinfecting it).
5. Infuse your morning coffee or tea with intent. Some people do this by stirring it clockwise or drawing sigils. But you can also hold the cup and imagine you are infusing it with positive energy. I love just holding the cup in two hands, closing my eyes, and breathing in the smell. I’m a tea drinker personally and love some tea with honey.
6. Bless your keys for safe travel. Even if you don’t drive, you likely carry a set of keys with you at all times. Ask them to keep you safe until you return home. Why not put a crystal keychain on your keys to amplify the magic?
7. Practice simple glamour magic. If you wear makeup, enchant your makeup. If you don’t, enchant your facewash, face lotion, or shave gel for the same purposes. Personally, I like to draw sigils on my face in foundation because I am extra like that. You can do the same with whatever you are using in the morning on your face. Ladies and gentlemen, if you are NOT moisturising, you best start.
8. Eat REAL food. This seems kind of mundane, but eating processed foods screws up your aura and is just bad for you. Skip the cereal for something real like eggs, avocado toast, oatmeal, or fresh fruit. I eat toast with scrambled eggs with bacon on top. Sometimes I throw in a banana or apple as well or save it for a snack later.
9. Briefly meditate, draw a tarot card, or practice yoga. If you have time, spend 5 to 10 minutes meditating or doing some yoga to get ready for the day. If you don’t, simply drawing one tarot card to see how the theme of the day is quick and fun. I usually pull it, jot it down, and research it while I am eating breakfast. I don’t do this very often though, instead preferring to zone out while I listen to music. Yes, zoning out of my form of meditation.
10. Say a mantra. Every morning before, I say “I’ve got this.” I often don’t feel like I do. In fact, my anxiety is constantly telling me I don’t, but saying it out loud helps me recognise that I do. Just being positive and smiling while you say it will change your day. You can also just give gratitude in the morning. It is hard to be negative when you are being thankful.
These are some quick and easy methods to infuse your morning with magic.